Mercedes Aguirre is a scholar who works on Greek mythology. She is also a writer of novels and short stories.
She was born in Madrid. She has a doctorate in Classical Philology and is a lecturer at the Department of Greek Philology in the Universidad Complutense in Madrid. She is currently a Visiting Fellow in University of Bristol, and has been elected a Life Member at Clare Hall in the University of Cambridge.
As a university teacher her areas of published research (in both Spanish and English) are: Greek literature, Greek mythology and iconography, and the reception of Greek mythology in the contemporary world. Among her scholarly articles are those on:
- the Gorgons
- sea monsters
- female characters in the Odyssey
- studies of particular myths and their reception in art
She has also authored a book on the Pre-Raphaelites, especially on those of their mythological paintings which focus on female characters.
Novels and short stories
Mercedes is the co-author of a series of books, all published by Ediciones de la Torre, which retell the Greek myths:
- Cuentos de la mitología
- Cuentos de la magia griega
- Cuentos del teatro griego
- Cuentos de la filosofía griega
- Basque myths: Cuentos de la mitología vasca
- Celtic myths: Cuentos de la mitología celta
She is also the author of several books of fiction which have been inspired by Greek mythology but which are situated in our contemporary world:
- Nuestros mitos de cada día (shortlisted in the Éride Ediciones Literary Prize)
- the novel El narrador de cuentos
- a new version of the collection of short stories Nuestros mitos de cada dia with the title: Relatos míticos del mundo cotidiano/Mythical Tales of the Everyday World (in a bilingual Spanish-English book) published by Éride Ediciones.
- El cuadro inacabado
- Short story La pared, which was shortlisted in the Concurso Internacional de Cuentos Ediciones de la Torre.
- Short story Verdades y mentiras, published in Proyecto Sherezade, University of Manitoba
Her latest novel is Vidas, historias y cafés.
Amongst other activites, Mercedes runs workshops and courses on creative writing, and is currently planning a book on the subject.See profile at the Escritores Complutenses in Madrid